Sunday, January 17, 2010

Traditional Indian weddings - stimulus to local economy

Ever since I started blogging, I feel like a news reporter looking for incidents and things to comment/report. One such event was the wedding of my sister-in-law, which recently happened in Mysore. It was a traditional Hindu wedding with traditions and customs followed to the extent possible.

Usually, I don't like traditional weddings and I feel they are both a waste of time and money and a big energy drain for every one involved. But this time around I started looking at it with a new set of eyes or rather came up with a different point of view. I felt the weddings are a stimulus for the local economy. Here are the reasons why I felt that way.

  • The silk sarees that were bought, I feel we wouldn't have bought them and in such quantities if not for the wedding.
  • The flower decorations in the hall and the just the flowers/garlands bought for the wedding. I am sure most of the flowers used in the wedding were locally grown.
  • In the last post, I spoke about the Indian farmers market, when I went shopping for the wedding, I saw in some cases we were buying out some of the trader’s daily quota of veggies.
  • The wedding hall expense was one I couldn't justify but when I saw the number of people it employed to run the show I think I am partially satisfied. The people working there should be paid better is a different question altogether.
  • The stuff needed for the pooja in the weddings, I know that there are lots of stores in Mysore and Bangalore who for generations have been doing the business of selling pooja items.
  • I think I need to make a special mention for beetle leaf, the wedding on the whole required quite a lot of beetle leaves. It was used in the pooja and it was given to people with their take home gifts. I am sure most people who took it home simply put it in the garbage bin but the farmer who grew it got his fair share (for the critics: yes, “fair” part of the statement is debatable) .
  • Traditional Indian weddings require a lot of coconuts too, for they are used in cooking, pooja and also take home gifts for the guests. At a time when coconut farmers are losing market and money, weddings are definitely a hearty welcome.
  • The photo/video person also makes his money with such events.
  • The cook who is an independent contractor also employs people under him and takes his share.
  • The priest conducting the wedding earns his living through this.
  • There are a lot of things that are unique to our community weddings and I felt these unique things keeps us closer to our roots (villages)
  • Even though gold/jewelry takes up decent share of the wedding budget, I don't want to comment on the jewelry aspect, for I believe the return on investment in terms of stimulation of economy in the local area is not immediately seen with gold.
  • Mysore dairy had a separate section with an officer dedicated to handle wedding and big function orders.

All in all I felt wedding is a big job creator and an industry in itself. Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for expensive or lavish weddings but I am just pointing out the fact that the money spent is helping the economy and is doing it on a broader range.

There are other advantages for a traditional wedding besides plain economics, like the gathering of relatives and friends whom we probably wouldn't have met in years and preserving the culture and traditions for one more generation.

No comments: