Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Genghis Grill – Restaurant review

Taking a hint from my buddies Anoop and Shraddha, I am writing up this restaurant review

For the busy people, Genghis Grill is a new Mongolian grill on Westgate blvd next to Central market. Place has a good ambience and waiter was very friendly, they accommodate vegetarians and cook our food on a separate grill. I recommend the place to be tried once.

Here is the long version; Other day I took up the intention to do my groceries and thanks to the television by the time the intention manifested it was close to 9:00PM. After completing my shopping, I was driving out thinking about dinner and my eyes fell on this place “Genghis Grill”, a Mongolian grill, after a couple of moments of hesitation decided to at least look at the menu before making a decision. Thankfully they were open and the hostess was friendly and handed me the menu. Looking at the menu I could hardly find anything vegetarian and the food menu was 1 page and the rest were drinks and desserts. I guess the hostess understood my dilemma and explained that don’t have to order from the menu but I can create my own and handed me a bowl.

After I got seated, the waiter took me around and explained to me that I need fill the veggies to the bowl and take it to the grill and let them know that I am a vegetarian. Now, here is the interesting thing, in my previous times (before Rajima and Bhagavatam) I would have been concentrating more on veggies “I think I like and I think I know” and be pretty discriminating, but this time around I concentrated on what was available right in front of me and ended up adding a few pieces of pretty much everything. For the sauce part, I picked the easy one and went with island teriyaki. On the lighter side, I wasn’t surprised when the grill guy gave me green token number 1 (they have different ones for meat and veggies). I went and sat at my chair and couple of minutes later the waiter arrived with my cooked food.

Unlike the other Mongolian grills in town, in this place they stir-fry the noodles/rice with the veggies and the sauce (no rice on the side). The food with all the veggies tasted real good, the veggies had good flavor and were fresh. I think addition of the veggies that I previously used to ignore added extra flavor. I loved the food and the service.

The cost was a tad on the higher end but I have no regrets. Later on, I came to know the restaurant is fairly new and probably less than a week young. So, near future is a good time to check out this place.      

ps: there is a small trick to make the food taste real good, do the Bhagavatam with Rajima and you will know.

No comments: