Friday, August 19, 2011

I wonder

Since the blog name is Manjunath’s thoughts, I think it is high time I publish a few things of thought. So, here is an effort to add some more randomness (chaos) to the blog. 

  • I wonder how long does it take for a set of good guidelines either laid out in some obscure book or taught by a great personality will take the form of a meaningful practice?
  • I wonder how long does it take for a set of meaningful practices to take the form of a belief?
  • I wonder how long does it take for a set of beliefs to take the form of a religion?
  • I wonder at what point does the religion becomes an inheritance rather than a choice?
  • I wonder how long does it take for this religion to gather enough mass and strength that people start influencing/coercing others to convert?
  • I wonder how long does it take for the religion to divide on itself?
  • I wonder how long does it take for a meaningful practice to become a blind ritual/faith?
  • I wonder how long does it take for this religion to take a violent form, either in the name of defending itself or attacking others?
  • I wonder if there is an order to all these, like first teaching, then comes practice, then comes belief, then comes blind faith and then takes the form of religion or do these things move around?
  • I wonder at what point does the religion starts to instill fear in its members (either to grow or just to sustain)?
  • I wonder if the conversion to a religion starts first or division of a religion starts first?
  • I wonder if the answer to all the above is “it depends”, it depends on the time and space and the mind state of the people starting the movement and the mental and politico-fiscal state of people following.

1 comment:

Arun said...

Well written post. Also a departure from your usual style and more thought-provoking. Treading dangerous waters here, my friend?:)