Sunday, December 18, 2011

The secret ingredient is salt

Sandhya does not believe in getting ghee from the Indian store but prefers to get butter from the local grocery store and make ghee out of it. She has been doing for a while now and is an expert in the same.

Couple of days back I decided to giver her a break and embarked on a project to make ghee out of butter. I thought, I have seen her do it and it is just a matter of patience and no magic involved.

Thus after nearly 2 or so hours of waiting to generate ghee from butter, I figured I have accomplished the task and asked sandhya to help me filter the ghee to a different container. For those novices (like me), butter after being heated on a low flame for so long should leave out a solid substance which needs to filtered out to get ghee. In my case all I had was a colloid and no solid. So, when filtered I had the ghee and the colloidal substance together.

I kept scratching my head wondering what must have gone wrong, in my mind I blamed every possible thing. Meanwhile, I noticed that Sandhya’s face was beaming end to end and I figured I must have missed something very elementary. She said add a few grains of salt and a bit of turmeric and re heat the ghee + colloid for a few minutes.

Once I did that, bingo! the colloidal substance became solid like and was easy to be filtered out. I had finally made ghee from butter.

In this case, one can argue that salt being the catalyst is not completely proven, but my gut feeling is that it is the salt and not turmeric.

No comments: