Sunday, July 28, 2013

Life of Pi – The movie

Long time ago, I remember reading the book “Life of Pi” and being thoroughly impressed by it. I don’t think I ever thought that some one would venture to make a movie out of it and that too it will turn out this good.  In my experience, there are only few movies that I could say the movies surpasses the books they are based on and I am more than willing to accept Life of Pi is one of them.

The book in case one has not read, is the story of a boy named Pi who for some reason  gets stuck on a boat with a Bengal tiger in the middle of the pacific ocean, how he managed to reach the land and the bonding he made with that tiger forms the rest of the story. I loved the book for it offered different perspective on life, on the life of animals at zoo and the funny narratives about how the boy was named Pi Patel while the rest of the family had normal Indian names.

The movie has gone a few steps beyond and I loved the way they have added Irfan Khan’s character (playing the adult Pi Patel) as a wrapper to the whole story. The narrative is amazing and the photography is mind blowing. I must admit parts of the movie were too real for my taste, but that’s the way the book is written. Every single actor is in their true elements. The ying and yang with father and mother playing the head and the heart roles is brought out really nice. In short it is a master piece and is worth the time.

To describe my own experience of watching the movie, after a hard day on Saturday. I was pretty tired and wanted to sleep off but on insistence of Sandhya (who had seen it before) I sat to watch the movie saying to myself that I would watch for just half hour and then sleep, but little did I know that I would be so engrossed and occupied with the movie that I sat through the whole movie of nearly 2 hrs and few mins. Keep in mind, I have read the book and I know the ending and there is no suspense element involved in the movie for me. 

ps: I should have caught this movie in an IMAX theater but as luck shall have it I saw it at the comfort of my home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved it too! And yes, not many films can achieve that! Not true for this film. Great book. Great movie. :)

Sripathi Kodi said...

I watched this movie in 3D. Made the mistake of taking my daughter to this movie. She got scared when she saw the tiger, removed 3D glasses and refused to wear it all the way till the end of the movie!