Tuesday, September 24, 2013

iOS 7 first impressions

Over the weekend I updated my Iphone 4s to iOS 7 and here is my take on it

  • I think the colors and hues are done to impress teenage girls. The more neutral look that the previous OS used to have is gone. At the first look I hated it but now its been a few days and I am getting used to it.
  • The control center is pretty nice and slickly done, The OS now has a built in app to enable the flash led and use it as a flash light. Finally I could get rid of the ad driven app that I was using to do the same.
  • The notes app used to have a selection of fonts and now we have to be satisfied with only default no choices.
  • The camera app is re done nicely, it has a ton of live filters built in.
  • Safari web browser is also redone, I like that it has the options on screen to make browsing private. I must warn you it will take a few minutes of getting used to as the default mode is full screen.
  • The timer, safari apps are aiming for a 3D feel. 
  • Finally any icon can be moved anywhere and can be grouped with any other one, for ex: in ios6 I couldn’t move the passbook or Newsstand from the main screen and keep them with other unused apps.
  • The introduction of itunes radio is cool but I think it has a long way to catch up with apps like Pandora. At the first launch the radio had trouble finding my Wifi.
  • The weather app has onscreen animations like the Android OS
  • The maps on Apple still have long long way to go, on 1 instance it couldn’t find a location I was looking for while Google maps had no trouble finding the place on the second instance the app was predicting my arrival time ~20mins later than my GPS and Google maps. The error is not a big deal if it were for a 3-4 hr journey but in my case it was little over an hour long journey. 
  • The battery drain is slightly faster with iOS7 than with the previous version, not a big deal and not a big concern.
  • The background app killing reminds me of the old Palm OS and Android (instead of holding down on the app till we get a red bar at the end like we did in the previous OS, now just flick them up)
  • The i-message interface also reminds me of Android. I hope the i-messaging works better with this OS as I had a lot of trouble using the i-message  in iOS 6 and had switched over to Google voice and whatsapp.
  • Sorry no SWYPE keyboard yet.

On the whole the OS seems to be doing a catching up with Android, not too happy about that.

1 comment:

Vyom said...

Agree with the trying to catch up with Android feel. About the battery, you might want to disable background app refresh in Settings > General > Background App Refresh.