Thursday, January 21, 2016

The new super hero – MLK

Today my daughter enlightened me as to why we celebrate Martin Luther King’s birthday. 

In her own words (translated from Kannada), long time ago before she was born and I was born or her grand parents were born there were rules that said only white people can play in the park and black people only play football and brown people only play basketball. Then MLK said everybody should play together and then on all kids play together in the park. That is why he is a superhero. Her follow on question was since he is called the king, does that mean he is the king of the whole world?

Anyways, I don’t know the answer to the question she asked but I am amazed that she was able to grasp the narrative at school (in English medium) and was able to translate and re-tell the story in Kannada (our native language) to both me and Sandhya.

On one hand, I was quite surprised that the teachers at CDC were talking about sensitive subject like racism to kids at pre-k level but on the other hand I am more than appreciative of them for engaging them at such early ages.

In the words of her teachers they could feel her like a civil attorney arguing a case. Considering she beats me up for disciplining Daisy (our pup), I am guessing we either have an attorney or an activist in the making. 


No comments: