Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Freedom of expression

Recently Penguin publishers pulled out the book “The Hindu”, by Wendy Doniger. There has been a big media hue and cry over this crying foul. But is there a foul, or is it just any publicity is good publicity.

The book has been in circulation for close to 4 years and I had never heard of this book till I read the news online that its been pulled out. Now I am so curious that I am willing to spend $14 and buy this and give it my time. I am sure there are a few thousands like me.

For the media crying foul, unlike Satanic Verses and such books, the book was not banned by any state government or central government. Just like Dr. Doniger has the right to express her views (right or wrong) so does the agency which filed the case against her. Isn’t that the real freedom of expression.

Also, India are not new to controversial books ex: take any book of Dr. S.L.Bhairappa like “Parva”, “Avarana” or “Sartha”. Each one has controversies built in but the books still exist and people like me buy it and some read and some don’t.

Last but not the least, freedom comes with responsibility one without the other is meaningless.

No comments: