Monday, April 14, 2014

Composting side effect

Had some left over watermelon on the counter top that were left over night outside the refrigerator, unlike the previous times when in my laziness I wouldn’t have bothered to touch it as it wasn’t refrigerated, this time around I tried the melons, found them good and finished them for breakfast.

Sandhya was cutting Apples for Avni and gave me the core, I cut it into small pieces and realized most everything was human edible and the waste was very minimal (<10%).

Wondering what’s the significance of the above 2 stories, long story short we have started a vermicomposting bin at home. Now to the long story.

Last few months when my in-laws were in town and we were bouncing ideas about composting, my father-in-law came strongly in favor of vermicomposting and he had his good reasons. I said sold and bought the bin and ordered the worms from online store. They all are slowly settling down and eating the food scrap we are providing.

Now that we have the bin, I hate to throw anything to garbage pile which can be fed to the worms. The idea was to throw anything and everything that I thought we don’t want to eat towards them. But there is a catch, in this process of throwing anything and everything I am almost filling up the first tray in less than 2 weeks while in general it is supposed to be filled up in a month (over feeding). So, the solution, eat it if I can instead of throwing to worms for compost. 

When we started it was for getting compost for the garden but never thought of this side effect in the process.

ps: there is a big discount available from city of Austin for the compost bins (75% up to $75).

No comments: