Tuesday, November 24, 2015

One plate per person or one plate per line

When I go the buffet at any restaurant here in USA, it is mandatory to take a new plate every time one goes to the buffet line, while in India it is exactly the other way, meaning 1 person and 1 plate and not a new one each time. One can argue it as cultural difference and also point out that it is not sanitary to take the used plate back to the buffet.

All said and done, one thing I noticed was with 1 plate each time per buffet line there is a larger wastage of food while the other one there is less. Surprised?, last time I went to a buffet in India (one plate per person) I filled up my plate first time and went back to my table. When I was ready for the second round I realized I need to finish everything I have taken before going back to the line (left over means wasted real-estate) and I eneded up taking only things I know I would eat, now compare this to the US style since I know I will get a new plate each time in the buffet line there is never a real need for me to finish everything I got from the previous round before heading back to the line.

Irrespective of buffet or entree order, I do not believe in wasting food and more than likely finish everything I have taken or ordered. That said it was a revelation to me that one plate per person saves not only water but also produced food.   

No comments: