Friday, February 06, 2009

Barber shops in US (yes, they do exist)

For most of us who have lived in US for long enough time, we are used to super cuts and sport clips and great clips and so on for hair cuts and if you are picky like me once in a while you end up with an unsatisfactory haircut. All this was true till I discovered an independently owned barber shop last month.

It was suggested by a friend of mine and I went there with lots of hesitation. The shop is located in a rundown part of the town and was called Oak Hill Barber Shop, The name Barber shop instead of cuts or clippers got me thinking, Being in US for as long as I have been, I am more used to people calling themselves stylists and the places they work as either clippers or cuts and last I heard of a barber shop was when I was in India.

Inside the shop also, the ambience was more retro and not like the usual chain stylist stores. The chairs seemed to be more than 20 years old but I admit they were really comfortable and very well maintained. Instead of a receptionist and bunch of stylists, there was only 1 person. Turns out she was the owner of the shop and she was the one who was going to cut my hair. She claimed she had more than 20 years experience cutting hair and I have to admit I got one of the best haircuts in a long time.

The cost was similar to that of the chain stores (that was surprising); she doesn't take credit cards though but only cash or check. Needless to say I will go back to her for my future needs. Last but not the least I have the pleasure of supporting a locally owned business.

No comments: