Tuesday, February 03, 2009

SLR Buy

A month or so ago a I borrowed my friend’s digital SLR to play with, I was completely blown away by its performance. It made me realize what I am missing in terms of digital photography equipment and I decided to buy one for myself.

Unlike the last few times when I have purchased things almost spontaneously I decided to do some research this time (hint: I am married now)

Needless to say the two leading companies for digital SLR are Canon and Nikon and since I am a complete novice I decided to focus only on budget DSLRs. I went through the usual set of comparisons of mega pixels, CCD size, year of make, speed, with or without image stabilization, N focus points or N+1 focus points and so on and so forth. The comparison reminded me of a song from Hindi movie Rangeela ("Complan bole mein meeta hoon, Horlicks bole mein acha hoon :)), Anyways, I had to make a decision before I go mad, so I almost narrowed down to Nikon D60. But after going through some more reviews decided on Canon Rebexl XS and again decided to notch the budget up by couple hundred $'s and decided on a Canon rebel Xsi.

So far so good, now that I have decided on a camera, I decided to wait to see how my company's outlook will look like by the end of January. Needless to say it wasn't rosy and my employer asked us to take a 10% pay cut (well I am glad it is only 10% and not 100%). On top of this my car decided to go through a routine maintenance and my dentist decided to fill a couple of teeth.

My earlier deadline of January end is way past over, I have decided to postpone it by another month or so and tthink again. Of course the guidance from our new president isn't helping much either :).

1 comment:

Anoop said...

Here's an addition to the lineup that you should consider: the Canon EOS 500D.