Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Some useful tools for windows users

At work my environment is mostly windows and I have found some of these tools to make my life a bit easier.

Textpad

It is probably one of the best text editors built, it is agile and very responsive. It almost has all functions of linux editors like gedit or nedit amd it is more versatile and powerful than wordpad I rarely use notepad or wordpad anymore and Textpad is my default text editor.

Hypersnap

For all those who use screen captures for their power points and don't want to use "Print Scrn", here is your answer Hypersnap. You can capture an area of screen, an active window and even edit the captured image. Again,for single use not all that expensive

ExamDiff

A worthwhile tool that does what tkdiff does in linux. Its a free tool and it works great.

WinBatch

This is more like perl and does almost everything perl does but easy to learn and use. It runs slower than perl. I found it very useful to create multiple directories or parsing data from multiple files. I bet it can do way more but that is all I have used it for. The license if a bit more expensive than most others I have listed but I have found it is worth the price.

1 comment:

Sripathi Kodi said...

I am not a Windows user, but the two tools I first install on any Windows machine are "Irfan Viewer" and "Wordweb Thesaurus and Dictionary".