Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Dubare elephant camp

I had heard a lot about this place and by the time we finalized our trip to India, this one had become a must see places in our vacation. I was told the ideal way to visit is to book a day in jungle lodges Dubare and I say, yes they were right.

This was my first experience with jungle lodges and I have all praises for them. They had very clean and spacious cottages, wonderful food and friendly people. I must emphasize when I say clean, I mean not a single piece of paper or cigarette butt or any such things that don’t belong in the forest.

Our journey started from Mysore in the morning and we reached Dubare by afternoon, much to my surprise we took a boat to reach Jungle lodges, in essence we were a captive audience till we checked out next day.

After lunch and tea we were taken on a safari in the evening, lasted a couple of hours and we were lucky to see a bunch of peacock, a jungle cat, few elephants and a Gaur (Indian Bison). Returning from the safari there was camp fire, followed by dinner.

Next day started with a small guided walk through the jungle and a coracle ride followed by breakfast and Elephant interaction. Thanks to government of Karnataka for organizing “Tipu’s birthday” and which led to Coorg Bandh, we almost had exclusive access during elephant interaction. Avni had a blast bathing the elephants and feeding them.

All in all, it was a well planned 24 hours at jungle lodges Dubare. One can stay for more than a day but the activities would be the same.

I wouldn’t do justice if I don’t talk about the elephants in the camp. Some of the elephants are born there and most are caught/tamed to prevent human and animal conflicts. I was told the males do get into fights sometimes and it is a common thing. One interesting fact I found was that the medium of instruction for the elephants is Hindi. 

My recommendation for people visiting Dubare, spend the money and stay overnight and appreciate the nature.

No comments: