Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Take 2 things - every time

Motley Fool "Rule Breakers" Podcast host David Gardner is a delight to listen. He usually has some small tips or wisdom nuggets to help make one's life better. One of his wisdom nuggets was and I quote (not verbatim) "If a space needs tidying up one easy and less stresfulway is to put away 2 things every time you are in that place and over time things will tidy up". May not be his exact words but a loose translation. Here is an example of how it worked practically for me. 

Thanks to COVID and due to school year starting as a from home instead of actual school; For the first time we had to order some furniture from Wayfair. Assembling was one part of the equation which was easily solved but the second part of disposing the packing material was a harder problem. Again, thanks to COVID there is no bulk trash pickup. 

After letting the boxes with packing material lay in the garage for couple of months, I remembered Mr. Gardner philosophy and started throwing the package material few pieces a day. Had to be careful for we do not have a big trash can. After about a week of doing this, I managed to empty 1 box of Thermocol and managed to put 1 box to recycle. 

During this process I realized I can speed up the process by cutting the Thermocol to small pieces and filling to trash covers and cutting up the boxes with box cutter and dump to recycle. Took about 20-25 minutes of my time and now all the boxes are being dumped in recycle box and Thermocol in 2 trash bags. Now I need to wait for trash and recycle day to finally get rid of the big packages. 

So, I didn't follow Mr. Gardner's philosophy fully but doing it on a consistent basis for about 10-12 days finally gave me the idea to get rid of the trash in one quick go.  

No comments: