Thursday, September 24, 2020

What's in a browser?

We as a household (as most people) switched to Google Chrome as web browser of choice a long time ago and in general it has worked like a charm (agreed they track every single click). It has worked even on websites where Internet Explorer and Firefox failed. 

Doing work from home and having daughter's school also virtual brings its own set of issues and concerns for ex: the other day Google Fiber went down for the whole day. For me I could always go to office (that's what I did) but for Avni it was not the best day :). A week later the portal through which she logs into for her school work went down. AISD did acknowledge that the portal was down but the classes run on ZOOM meetings (independent of AISD portal) and the teachers were starting those as usual.  

Between the 3 of us we have enough varieties of OS's (Mac, Windows, Chrome OS and IOS) and we went through testing the portal access with all the machines serially only to find the portal was not accessible. Barring the old iPad on all other devices we were accessing through Google Chrome. Thanks to Sandhya, we managed to get ZOOM meeting links for the classes and I went to the office room to start my work. 

For reasons I can't remember I have not installed Chrome on office machines and use Microsoft Edge and Bing. Out of curiosity I tried to log into the portal on my office laptop and voila it worked. Going back to other windows PC, the portal worked on Internet Explorer and same with Safari on Mac OS. At that point the access was denied on Chrome. 

Moral of the story, keep backup browsers and try with them if one browser gives access denied :).  

ps: I can almost hear someone screaming, why don't you have Linux  


No comments: