Tuesday, September 08, 2020

Two perspectives for the same event

The event happened way back in time when my beloved grandpa passed away at the ripe age of 81. Can't remember the year but know for a fact that me and my brother were very young and when he passed away my dad was in Thagadur (our native village) and we in Bangalore. Compared to the present day connectivity, in terms of communication, I would call that time "stone age" and can't remember how we managed to communicate to my dad about the death of his father but I do remember the over night journey we undertook in a yellow top taxi with a good Samaritan neighbor of ours back to our native village, Thagadur. On the way we informed a few more people of the passing away. I also remember that in spite of some good insistence from our parents me and my brother were wide awake through the whole journey. 

Anyways, I am not chronicling his last rites but only one tiny aspect of his last rites. So, after a morning of body viewing by the villagers and relatives from neighboring villages, burial was scheduled for that day afternoon or very early evening (can't remember the time exactly). The hole was dug in our family farm and the body was on its way to the farm from the house. On the way it rained cats and dogs for about good 30-45 minutes. So bad that the burial hole started to close down, the decorations went away and people had to run to get shelter. I remember people talking how it is a bad omen and inauspicious when it rains at such occasions. Of course the rain stopped and literally disappeared after that heavy down pour of good 30 minutes. 

In the night as part of honoring the dead, one of the natives of the village did what is called "Hari-Katha", essentially we are all supposed to be awake through the night to honor the buried/cremated and listen to stories of god. He started with saying how auspicious it was that it rained right before the burial and he said and I quote (extremely loose translation) "the parted one was so near and dear to every one that even the nature wanted to say good bye and welcome him to be one with it". I slept off right after a few minutes of hearing. I don't know what impact it had on the morale of others but mine was definitely lifted and soared.  

The same event of rain during the burial, while and whole lot thought it was inauspicious and One stood up there and changed not sure of everyone's but for sure my perspective.    

ps: the taxi was a Premier Padmini (an Indian copy of Fiat) and we were 4 adults and 2 kids along with my Grandpa's body in that. Something for that generation I guess. 

1 comment:

Sripathi Kodi said...

I didn't realize initially that you were carrying the body in the same Premier Padmini!!! I think Premier-Padmini was an official licensee of Fiat, not just a copy-cat.